Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Done!

Hey folks,

So I just took my proficiency exam, and am now officially done with everything here. Waiting until Friday to fly home, and I can't wait to get back. 

Saturday night's boat trip was pretty epic. It was a mustache themed party, and the girls who organized it actually got enough fake mustaches for everyone. There were some really, really good ones. Our boat bumped a multi-million dollar yacht as we were leaving the pier, and the respective captains exchanged profanities and hand gestures for a while. We traveled as far south as the Arnavutköy Camii, and then kind of looped around between the two bridges thereafter. The boat was big enough for 30 people to dance closely with one another, and the crew was friendly and chatty. Everyone brought their own drinks and snacks, so the boat was full of beer, wine, rakı, and chips. Everyone had a great time, by the looks of the pictures. We must have looked pretty fucking weird to the folks hanging out in Bebek when we got off the boat in fake mustaches and drunkenness at 2:00am. We all walked to the waffle place and got delicious Turkish waffles full of bananas, kiwis, strawberries, caramel, etc. etc. Then we all got into cabs and went back to campus to sit on the lawn and hang out/drink some more. 

I was really surprised to see so many kids out and about on campus as late as it was. We sat on the lawn, playing with cats and speaking Turkish until 4:45am. There were still people outside playing volleyball or something when we left. I spent a good amount of time trying to locate the source of this mewing that heard in the bush next to me. I found the cutest goddamn kitten ever, but the bastard was too quick for me and kept escaping back into the bushes. Again, fun was had by all. Sunday consisted of sitting around, finishing Generation Kill (amazing!), and working on my final paper. Great success. 

Monday was the last day of classes, yesterday was the final exam, and today was the proficiency exam. I presume I did decently enough on each. It's like Enya says, "Only Time." Yesterday after class I went to the Kapalıçarşı to try and get gifts for people. I failed. I dunno. I just feel like that stuff is cheesy now. Who knows. I will probably go back tomorrow. Argh. BUT I did succeed in getting myself another pair of linen pants that I can actually wear outside the house. They are tan. I will be covertly comfortable at all times. We stopped by Güllüoğlu, the really tasty bakery, on the way back and the guy was really friendly and let us try stuff and gave us a bargain on some baklava, so we bought a pound and promptly ate it. Last night we hung out and watched 2 hours of Arrested Development and a half-hour long documentary called "Tabu" made by some kid from Boğaziçi. It was really interesting. The guy made cards for the game "Taboo" that said stuff like "Kurdish problem," "Armenian Genocide," and "homosexuality" on them, and videotaped a few groups of students playing the game with them. I will try and get it on my computer so some of you can see it. Then we started talking/arguing about religion, and I went to bed. No sense in it, I already have all the answers to my religious questions. 

We gave all our teachers flowers and cards today, and I realized that I am really going to miss Sabahat Hanım. She is so awesome. I will have to write her a postcard from time to time. 

Now it is time to nap and get ready for the blowout party tonight at some big dinner/drink hall where one of the other teachers will be singing. Should be fun! 

See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment